Sometimes, you meet a character that you can’t get out of your head. Even after the book has closed, that character’s distinct voice shows up, acting as some sort of invisible commentary on your thoughts.
One such character is Blaine the Mono, a highly intelligent and sadistic train that shows up in the third installment of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower Series, The Waste Lands.
In order for our heroes to get through the Waste Lands, a treacherous and poisonous segment on their journey to the Dark Tower, they must take the train. Only once they’re on-board, they realize how insane this mechanical voice is. It has decided that is is prepared to commit suicide…and take its passengers along with it (insert scary cackle here).
Along with the highly irrational suicidal need, Blaine has one other human trait- he loves riddles. His passengers take advantage of this and strike a deal with him. If they can tell him a riddle that he cannot answer, he has to free them before he runs himself off of a cliff.
Without further ado, I will share with you some of my favorite riddles (some of which are from the riddling contest). The answers will be at the bottom 🙂
Share your own riddles in the comments (It may be good to share the answers as well, considering I am not as good at “thinking around corners” as our heroes are)!
- If you feed me I grow, but give me water and I’ll die. What am I ?
- I am the black child of a white father, a wingless bird, flying even to the clouds of heaven. I give birth to tears of mourning in pupils that meet me, even though there is no cause for grief, and at once on my birth I am dissolved into air. Who am I?
- What’s the difference between a cat and a complex sentence?
- I pass before the sun but make no shadow. What am I?
- We are all very little creatures; all of us have different features. One of us in glass is set; one of us you’ll find in jet. Another you may see in tin, and a fourth is boxed within. If the fifth you should pursue, it can never fly from you. What are we?
- This thing runs but cannot walk, sometimes sings but never talks. Lacks arms, has hands; lacks a head, but has a face.
Read on for the answers to the riddles as well as the third course of my Dark Tower feast!